Thursday, February 10, 2011

Breastfeeding Problems: Tongue-tie

I struggled with breastfeeding. I had nipple soreness and damaged skin on my nipples until my daughter was 3 months old!  My daughter was about two months old when two lactation consultants decided she had a mild tongue-tie.  They called the type she had, a posterior tongue-tie.  If you are having nipple pain and nothing seems to be helping, and especially if your baby is on the skinny side, please look into this.  There is a simple fix - it can be clipped.  First try to get help from a lactation consultant, since they are experts on this matter, and if they haven't considered it please suggest it as a possible problem.  I had excellent lactation consultants who didn't diagnose it until my daughter was two months old because she didn't have a severe tongue tie that was easy to see when she cried. Also, ask your baby's pediatrician about it because some can do the procedure called a frenulotomy, in their office.  If the pediatrician won't do it, an Ear, Nose, and Throat docotor (ENT) will do the procedure. The procedure is painless for your baby and done in the office. 

Watch a fabulous video about it on an episode of "The Doctors" at http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/home_page?init_type=Feature&init_id=2192

Breastfeeding my daughter was never easy and I continued to nurse her until she was almost two years old. Knowing what I know now, If  sweet child #2 has any type of tongue-tie, that thing is getting snipped!

No comments:

Post a Comment